5/25/16

Now it's over.

The practical training is done now. It's been a great time at South Range Elementary School! The teachers and stuff there are super friendly and nice, so are the kids! That school feels like home. During the last week and a half we learned about Finnish oddities and children's families. We learned about Finnish celebrations like Midsummer night, May first, Kekri and other non-religious celebrations. We built family trees and during the last days we watched a lot of Moomins. That was great!

There are pupils' family trees.

Kids filling up what Tatu and Patu discover from
Finnish sauna.

Kids made posters from Finnish celebrations.

We became famous.
Last weekend I got to see a lot of cool places around here! First on Friday one of the teachers, Priscilla, took me to Hungarian Falls with her husband. It was super amazing hiking path with many small falls on it. It was beautiful and really nice. Got a chance to see a grass snake. :)

Hungarian Falls.
On Saturday I wen't to explore the cost with Hilary's family. It was super great too! Got rid of my winter fur too. Went for a swim on Lake Superior. It was really nice! :) We also went on top of a Brockway Mountain and the view from there was super amazing! Really!

Great Sand Bay.
And on Sunday one other teacher, Joann (and Nikki and Charley too) took me to Calumet for a historical tour. We started it with the most fanciest brunch I've had in my life. There were two forks and everything! And I'm such a country girl that I didn't really know how to behave but I tried my best. And didn't do anything too inappropriate. I hope… Anyway the brunch was delicious and so was the tour! Lots of old houses that used to belong to big bosses of the mind industry. We also visited a museum which had a lots of stories to tell. The most awful was about Italian Hall. You guys should read about it. It's crazy.

Big bosses had their own pool rooms.
Well. During this last half a week in South Range we've cooked and watched Moomins. We tried to make every Finnish kid's favorite dish: makaroonilaatikko (macaroni casserole). And it actually tasted a lot like the original one.

Only four out of 35 didn't like it.

For dessert we made blueberry pie with my mother's recipe. 

Was almost as good as in Finland. Not far!

Here's some fourth graders eating salmiakki (salty liqourice) for the first time.

Today was my last day at school and tomorrow I'll be traveling to Chicago for a week and then next Thursday back to Finland. It's been such an amazing two months here and I really suggest everyone to take this chance and come to do their practical training at South Range Elementary School. Second graders are really looking forward for next year. :) I got an ice cream party for my last day. I've never participated an ice cream party before and that was great!! :D 

Found some Finnish chocolate from Finlandia
University's bookstore for the teachers to taste.

Best ice cream party ever!


Anyway. That was my two months at South Range and Eetu's one month and it was fun! Hope to read some great experiences form this blog in the future. :)

*kisses*

-Kaisuli